Thursday, July 7, 2011

Writing the Great American..Short Story?

To start, I'd like to thank everyone who has read my story, and I'd like to thank my brother and my dad for helping me edit it as time grew short, and the looming deadline to submit for a contest crept closer.

I still intend to polish it, and submit it for publication and other contests. I have also had some ideas as brief follow-up stories for each reality, at least on my blog. I am working on one right now, and should have it posted this weekend.

One thing I have discovered during the rapid process of trying to compile and finish a near-7000 word story in such a short time is how much one can miss with the first rough draft. Even though I understand that rough drafts are specifically written to be critiqued, it doesn't make it any easier. I think the short deadline left me less vulnerable to any negative emotions one can feel when your own words are attacked, and for that, I am grateful.

I am debating whether I keep working on a bunch of short stories, or hammer out a novel. The story idea I have come up with lends itself to short stories. It also helps that I'm short on time most days, so at least for now I think the choice has been made for me.

Anyway, thanks for reading it, and if you actually read this, do yourself a favor. Go buy a bag of Tootsie Roll pops, and eat one, and only one. Enjoy it.

I said one. I SAID JUST ONE. Weirdo. I didn't say stick as many in your mouth as possible. The owl says, "how many licks does it take to get to the center?", not "how many can you jam in your mouth like a yokel?"

Thanks again everyone, and keep an eye on the blog. I plan to post more here now that I have the writing fever again.

Gus

1 comment: